Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My Day at Tenwek

It has been a few days since I have written so I will try and catch up!  My daily routine stays pretty much the same this year.  I go to the nursery at 9AM for baths and a feeding, I go back at noon and 3 PM and sometimes 6 PM.  Feeding  these premies takes at least an hour.  We feed with little cups once they are old enough to suck; hopefully without falling asleep!   Before the cup they are fed with feeding tubes that go through their little noses directly into their stomach. We fill a syringe with formula or breast milk the mother has pumped and connect it to the feeding tube.  The  breast itself is introduced as soon they are able to suckle.

It is imperative that a baby be able to breast feed since many places do not have sanitary water for formula.  Unfortunately the two sets of twins that I am helping to feed are getting formula because their mothers are critically ill.  Both sets are girls.  One set is named Cynthia and Faith; the other set is Precious and Gracious.  The grandmother of Precious and Gracious is a darling woman who speaks very little English.  We mostly communicate with body language and hugs.  The other twins are cared for by an aunt who is equally competent and also speaks little English.  Please pray for the twins' mothers, Selena and Irene.  They are both so needed in this world for these twins and for the other children they have at home.  They are so sick.  

Of course I love being with the NICU nurses who have become my friends over the years.  I add a bit of humor to the situation mostly because I sweat profusely!  It is very hot in the nursery and I am naturally a "sweater" anyway.  I go through at least two tops a day and my hair looks like I just got out of the shower after an hour in there!  The nurses love asking questions about the U.S. and my family.  They say that I am their mother and the Nanya to the babies.  I love that!  

Till next time....love to all.
Miriam 


PS I am typing by candlelight since  the power has gone off!  No problem!

1 comment:

  1. Micki, thank you for these posts...personally they were helpful to Bill and me. This week we lost two dear friends, one a woman (46yo) and another a man that I have known for 50 years who was the mainstay of the summer camp we worked at. Your scripture was soothing across the seas. Our prayers are with you as well. Prayfully, Lill and Bill

    ReplyDelete